Gerald Miller, P.A. is a premier DWI and criminal defense law firm with a longtime reputation for superior results. Headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, the firm – made up of three attorneys – skillfully, aggressively, and compassionately represents defendants across Minnesota. The firm has earned the “SuperLawyer” designation by Thomson Reuters, as well as dozens of other awards and accolades.
Gerald Miller + Vibe Digital
The firm’s founder, Gerald Miller, has run his practice for nearly 40 years. In the past, he had attracted the majority of his clients through heavy Yellow Page advertising. He had enjoyed a strong return on his investment. But Jerry understood that times have changed, and he had fully embraced marketing in the digital age. He wanted online channels to bring him even better results than he had seen in the past.
In 2015, a local digital marketing agency designed a new website for the firm and began running Google, Facebook, and Bing ads with a conservative ad spend. The agency also hired a writer to craft 1,200-word legal blogs twice a month and post them to social media. The approach was conservative. Results were slow but satisfactory, with traffic to the website and subsequent lead inquiries gradually increasing and/or remaining steady month-to-month. Jerry wanted a higher Google ranking, and while a Google Ads and SEO expert had offered suggestions to bring stronger results, the agency believed the original tactics and campaign strategies should remain in place.
That local agency shut its doors in April 2019. Vibe Digital took over the account the same month. After speaking with Jerry and his attorneys – and doing an audit of the account – we determined that a more aggressive approach was needed to bring the significant, measurable results the firm needed in a highly-competitive area of practice.
The Challenge: Google Search Ranking
Gerald Miller, P.A. was ranking lower in Google search results than its top competitors. With studies showing that Google’s top search results go to at nearly 70% of clicks – 90% of web traffic doesn’t go past the first results page – paid and organic SEO needed some help. We wanted to boost the firm’s ranking, increase conversions, and generate more client consultations.
Approach 1: Organic SEO
We looked at possible SEO strategies and determined that several things needed to happen to boost Jerry’s organic search ranking:
– Video. Video is an important and powerful form of online content that can make a significant contribution to SEO, increase conversions and present a huge ROI. We flew to Minneapolis and filmed with Jerry and his associate attorneys. Our strategy was to create commercial-style videos between two minutes and 45 minutes that would be strategically placed in key areas of the website, as well as a handful of 15 to 60-second pieces that could be used on the firm’s stagnant social media channels. All six videos were also placed on a new YouTube channel created especially for the firm – a deliberate and focused move with YouTube being the second-largest search engine behind Google.
Creatively, the videos – the plan included bios of all three attorneys, an overview of the firm, scripted FAQs, and more – aimed to inform viewers, demonstrate the experienced, successful, and friendly vibe of the lawyers, and – most importantly – evoke a strong emotional reaction that would compel prospective clients to schedule a consultation with the firm.
– Content Overhaul. The main site content, including copy and photos, had not been updated in four years. We replace all of the existing copy with new, SEO-driven language that highlighted key services and search terms. In addition, we added more written content to areas of the website that were most likely to drive traffic, such as service pages and a page explaining the different types of criminal charges. The content refresh also included written bios of each attorney that would be placed alongside the corresponding biographical video.
– Long-Form Legal Blogs to Boost SEO. We revised our blog strategy to include more SEO-driven language within legal topics prospective clients were most likely to search for on Google. What’s more, we increased the firm’s number of monthly blogs from two to four; our writers also began publishing long-form blogs ranging between 2,000 to 3,000 words or more. Long form content delivers higher results, including larger online visibility, more social sharing, better link building, and reliable site authority.
– SEO Audit. An audit of geraldmillerlawyer.com was conducted to detect any technical SEO issues, website structure issues, back-end problems, speed, outdated or broken links, on-page SEO glitches and more. Several problems were found in all areas and were repaired to ensure visitors wouldn’t immediately bounce. Our audit also identified strategies to increase page views and enhance the firm’s overall online presence.
Approach 2: Paid Search
– Google Ads. Since Jerry wanted to appear higher in Google search results, generate more website traffic, boost lead conversions and, ultimately, see bigger client revenues– an increase in his Google Ads budget was necessary. We increased his monthly ads budget to reflect our more aggressive approach.
Google Local Search Ads. We advised Jerry that Google Local Search Ads were likely to appear higher in search results as well as increase conversions, since they would make the firm more visible to potential clients at the moments they are searching for a DWI attorney, especially when using their mobile phones.
– Search Term Expansion and Keywords. We conducted a keyword analysis and employed proven SEO tactics to increase website traffic.
– Gerald Miller, P.A. has moved up in Google search ranking to second or third on the page using a variety of keyword searches.
– Between May and mid-August, our campaigns generated double the total leads and form submissions across all channels compared to the same month last year.
– The firm is seeing an average of 175 high-quality leads every month, a nearly 50 percent increase over the same period last year.
– Conversions from Facebook ads went up 100 percent compared to last year.
– June 2019 saw the highest number of leads and conversions since the firm’s digital marketing efforts began in 2015.
– At the same time, June was the firm’s largest month for revenue in four years.
– The firm is receiving a huge ROI, with its fees for only two clients paying for Vibe Digital’s entire monthly digital marketing campaign.
– Gerald Miller, P.A. has seen a 30 percent increase in new clients.
Current and Future Efforts
– Home page redesign. We replaced home page images to show the natural, approachable side of the firm and are adding a ribbon highlighting the firm’s many awards and recognitions. Other page design efforts are in the works.
– Update Client Testimonials Page. We are refreshing the client testimonials page to include new reviews and testimonials from Google, Facebook, and Yelp, and links to all three sites.
– Reviews. Adding reviews is a smart strategy for improving SEO and Google Ads. We advised Jerry and his team to ask all successful cases to leave Google reviews including the following statements: “Minneapolis DWI lawyer Gerald Miller….” and “The Gerald Miller DWI Attorneys In Minneapolis….” More reviews are already coming in.
– Live Chat. The addition of a live chat pop-up will make it faster, easier and more efficient for the attorneys and their staff to communicate with and convert potential clients.
– Social Media: We are working on developing an ongoing social media campaign on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to attract more followers and consistently post valuable, high-quality content.
Ready to Learn More?
Digital ad spend has more than doubled since 2016. Experts say digital ad spending in the U.S. is set to grow by 19% this year to nearly $130 billion – surpassing traditional ad spending for the first time. Mobile optimization is crucial to every marketing strategy, as it accounts for more than two-thirds of total digital ad spending and dominates in most industries.
At the same time, organic SEO – including video and written content – increases website traffic, consumer engagement, and conversions. It also builds trust and credibility. Social media platforms offer unique opportunities to attract, engage with, and educate potential clients.
Bottom line? Developing digital campaigns is crucial to your business. Successful companies should be looking ahead and developing digital marketing strategies to boost their brand awareness. Vibe Digital can help.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Let’s get started.